This course is divided into four (4) modules which concern both theology and the practical life of the Church. For each module there will be an examination. The participants will be introduced to citation techniques and basic academic writing.
Introduction to theology
- Biblical studies: Introduction to Scripture and its place within the Church
- Church history and Patristics: An overview of the history of the Syrian-Orthodox Church of Antioch and her fathers.
- Dogma: introduction to the dogmas of the faith such as the Trinity and the Incarnation,
- Liturgics: introduction to the liturgical life and practice of the Syrian Orthodox Church of Antioch
At the end of the course students should be able to:
- Describe and reflect on the early church and the emergence of the Syrian tradition, as well as the context in which it emerged.
- Understand and reflect on the fathers’ theological contribution to the Syrian tradition
- Demonstrate basic knowledge and understanding of the liturgical life of the Syrian Orthodox Church.
- Together with others, reflect on the challenges and opportunities of the Syrian Orthodox Church in Sweden and in the future.
- Identify the most important sources of the Syrian tradition.