This course is for both beginners and advanced students of hymnology. The Syrian Orthodox Church of Antioch has a long tradition of hymns and poems. Many great fathers of the Church wrote and instructed the faithful using music and poetry. St. Ephrem the Syrian and St. Jacob of Serugh are two of the most famous hymnological writers in the Syriac tradition.
This course aims to provide participants with a practical and theoretical introduction to the hymnological tradition of the Syrian Orthodox Church of Antioch and invites the participants to share in this great tradition.
At the end of the course students should be able to:
- Identify key features, protagonists and characteristics that constitute the hymnology of the Syrian Orthodox Church of Antioch
- Enumerate and describe the different liturgical books within the Church
- Describe parts of the liturgical commentaries of the Syrian Orthodox Church of Antioch
- Together with others, relate the different liturgical books to each other in practice
- Together with others, integrate knowledge, skills and competences by reciting the Beth Gazo with the basic tones and hymns.