This course is available to beginners, intermediate or advanced students of classical Syriac. Syriac is the main language in which the Fathers of the Syrian Orthodox Church spoke and wrote. Many important theological and spiritual works have been composed in Syriac. The scope of the course starts from learning the basics of Syriac alphabet and grammar to reading and analyzing Syriac texts and commentaries. West Syriac pronunciation is used throughout the course, but participants are allowed to use other forms of pronunciation as well. From the outset, learners are encouraged to use their linguistic skills in the real-life social setting of their learning and liturgical community.
By the end of the course you should be able to:
- Confidently read and write the alphabet
- Demonstrate a basic understanding of Syriac grammar and pronunciation
- Analyse, understand and translate Syriac texts both independently and together with others
- Reflect on and discuss the functionality of the grammar in Syriac texts
- Read and analyse Syriac texts and commentaries