You can study this course if you are a beginner, intermediate or advanced student in classical Syriac. Syriac is the main language in which the Fathers of the Syrian Orthodox Church spoke and wrote. Many important theological and spiritual works have been composed in Syriac. The course takes the student from learning the basics of Syriac alphabet and grammar to reading and analyzing Syriac texts and commentaries. West Syriac pronunciation is used throughout the course, but participants are allowed to use other pronunciations as well. From the outset, learners are encouraged to use their linguistic skills in the real-life social setting of their learning and liturgical community.
Learning outcomes (depending on your level of knowledge)
By the end of the course participants should be able to:
- Read and write the alphabet without hindrance
- Demonstrate a basic understanding of Syriac grammar
- Use the Syriac language both in writing and talking with the other participants of the course
- Independently and together with other participants, be able to analyse, understand and translate Syriac texts of different levels.
- Reflect on the functionality of the grammar in Syriac texts
- Read and analyse Syriac texts and commentaries