The course is an introduction to the faith and life of the Syrian Orthodox Church of Antioch in the Arabic language. Participants will discuss and explore the four sources of faith:
(1) Biblical studies: introduction to Scripture and its place within the Church
(2) Ecclesiology: introduction to the Ecumenical synods and canon law
(3) Liturgics: introduction to the liturgical life and practice of the Syrian Orthodox Church of Antioch
(4) Patristics: introduction to the fathers of the Syrian-Orthodox Church of Antioch
At the end of the course students should be able to:
- Describe and reflect on the early church and the emergence of the Syrian tradition, as well as the context in which it emerged.
- Understand and reflect on the fathers’ theological contribution to the Syrian tradition
- Demonstrate basic knowledge and understanding of the liturgical life of the Syrian Orthodox Church.
- Together with others, reflect on the challenges and opportunities of the Syrian Orthodox Church in Sweden and in the future.
- Identify the most important sources of the Syrian tradition.