The course is designed as a gradual path from studying notation to singing hymns from the service books. Participants will learn how to read western staff notation, use their voice, read biblical passages in the context of the services, and, based on that, correctly work with the liturgical texts and set music to them.
At the end of the course, the participants are expected to be able to:
- Read staff notation in the context of the octoekhos
- Know how to relate to the clerics intonation in order to begin a hymn
- Read a biblical portion in an understandable manner
- Tailor a melody to a hymn while respecting the rules of prosodi
- Convert hymns from Karlovac tradition into Belgrade tradition and vice versa.
- Have a basic knowledge of the origins of Serbian chant and how it relates to other eastern Orthodox chant traditions.
The course is divided into groups according to the participants’ musical experience, and the progress depends on the participant’s ability to understand music.